Peppermint Lip Balm
Learn about cosmetic chemistry and engineer your own lip balm or use our recipe, below.
Containers and Tubes:
Local drug stores and craft supply stores carry travel containers, bead containers, wedding favor containers and paint-by-number type containers that work. A good size for lip balm containers is 1/2 oz. Containers can also be ordered from the following site:
fills approximately one dozen 1/2 oz containers
8 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
3 Tablespoons Beeswax
1.5 Tablespoons Raw Honey (processed honey can also be used)
30 drops Peppermint essential oil
For color, add 1/2 stick of natural lipstick (one that is natural looking, without too much color)
- Age appropriate parental supervision is advised because this project involves use of the stove and pouring of hot liquids.
- Safety glasses and pot holders or oven mitts are recommended.
Line the counter top with enough wax or parchment paper for all the containers that will be filled
Remove lids from containers and arrange the containers on the wax paper
Mix oil, beeswax and honey and heat in one of the following arrangements:
- a Pyrex glass liquid measure with a pour lip, placed ON A RACK (to prevent glass from breaking) in a saucepan of water
- a canning jar ON A RACK (to prevent glass from breaking) in a saucepan of water
- a double boiler with water in the bottom pot
Heat gently and bring water to a simmer to melt the ingredients.
When everything is melted, remove mixture from heat and add peppermint oil and lipstick. Stir until blended.
If you did not use the Pyrex glass liquid measure for heating the ingredients, pour the mixture into a heat resistant pitcher, such as a plastic liquid measure with a pour lip.
(Warning: do not pour the hot mixture into a glass liquid measure or pitcher, as the glass may break)
If you did use a Pyrex glass liquid measure for heating the ingredients, use it to pour the mixture into the containers. CAUTION: Use a pot holder or oven mitt
Carefully pour mixture into containers and let sit to cool. As it cools, the mixture will crystallize and become more solid.
Place covers on containers.
Things to think about:
- Look at your ingredients list and determine the physical state of each ingredient (Solid, Liquid, Gas or something else)
- What happens to the ingredients when you heat them up?
- What happens to the mixture when you cool it down?
- What does crystallization mean and how does it impact the lip balm?